Friday, November 9, 2012

30 Days of Truth: Day 23-Something You Wish You Had Done in Your Life

I wish I went to Korea with my dad and brother when they went. I wasn't invited, and I didn't find out they went until after my dad died in 1997.  I wish I could have gone for several reasons.  First, he had four brothers, and they had wives and children. That means although my Korean grandparents, father, and uncle are no longer with us, there are living relatives in Korea that I've never met.  I'm told they don't speak English, and neither my brother nor my step-mom keep in touch with any of them. 

I wish I could have gone to Korea while my father was still alive so I could have met his family in person, see their culture, and see and hear about his experiences there first hand.  He wrote a manuscript about his experiences in South Korea during the Korean war.  He went to college in Seoul and struggled to stay alive in South Korea during the Korean war. 

Here is a link to his book on amazon.com  http://www.amazon.com/Into-Vortex-War-Interpreters-Encounter/dp/1434322610/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253797943&sr=1-1

I  never met my Korean grandparents, but I heard they both lived to be over one hundred years old.  Both of those things (going to Korea and living to be one hundred) are on my bucket list.  Thankfully, genetics are on my side.

Isn't it freaky how much I look like my Korean grandmother in these pictures?


I do love my life and am thankful for exactly where I am in my life, so I don't really regret anything from the past.  It's hard to say what would have been different now if I had done anything differently.  But for the sake of the exercise, if I could go back and do everything again, I would have somehow invited myself to join them on a trip to Korea to get in touch with my heritage.


2 comments:

  1. It's on my bucket list. Not too hopeful that I will find any remaining family though. Finding someone related to me with the last name "Kim" in Korea is like finding a "Smith" here.

    ReplyDelete