Friday, October 5, 2012

30 Days of Truth: Day 15 — Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you’ve tried living without it.

I couldn't live without my husband.  I was engaged to someone else when I met him at the gym one day in June 1998.  We became best friends and started running together several times a week.  Then we went out on a double date on New Year's Eve 1998.  At midnight, we kissed, and nothing has been the same since then. 

I'd been having problems with my fiance over religion and the fact he never spent any time with me. 
My fiance was Jewish, and I was Unitarian Universalist, although I was raised Christian and celebrating Christian holidays.  I thought I wanted to convert to Judaism to marry him, but our first Christmas/Hannukah season I wanted to celebrate both holidays, and he only wanted to do Hannukah. It was a major problem.  He also didn't spend enough time with me. He worked as a physical therapist Mondays through Fridays then worked at a bike shop on Saturdays and took on a job doing ski patrol on Sundays and otherwise would train for triathlons all weekend. 

I realized that I spent all my spare time with my best friend but was engaged to someone else. 

I tried for a few months to talk myself into going ahead with the marriage and hoping it would work out.  I tried living a lie, but ultimately I listened to my intuition and broke up with my fiance and cancelled the wedding.  It was liberating. 

Deep down, I knew whom I truly loved and wanted to spend all my time with.  We dated, got married, and had two babies together, a girl and a boy.  We are celebrating our thirteenth wedding anniversary in a few days.  I couldn't be happier, and I have no regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment